Competition alert – on a quest to find Britain’s Next Bestsellers!!
The announcement of the launch of a fantastic new writing competition on December 1st 2014. Britain’s Next Bestseller.co.uk B(BNBS) and Scriggler.com are teaming up to look for the best 10 crime/thriller short stories to feature in a compilation book. The 10 shortlisted stories will get a crowd-funding campaign that may see their story published and sold around the world. All author royalties earned from the book sales will be donated to “The Hope Academy for Girls” – A self-sustaining, multi-purpose school for at-risk girls in the western rural area of Sierra Leone, West Africa. So not only could you get to see your work in print, but you could help to fund the education of young girls in West Africa. A cause very close to our hearts.
The competition runs from 1st December 2014 until 31st January 2015 and is open to ALL authors whatever your country of residence. So whether you have always wanted to write a short story or you have a manuscript under your bed, you have until 31st January to enter. Remember the theme is crime/thriller and ideally word count should not exceed 7,500 words. But don’t fret if it does. Once you have your manuscript ready you will need to register with Scriggler.com and publish your story to their site. Details on how to do this are below.
The overall winner will also see their story’s title chosen as the compilation’s title. Each winner will receive 10 free copies of the book and a 50% discount on any further copies they would like to purchase once published.
Britain’s Next Bestseller are proud to be joining forces with Scriggler.com in their quest to find Britain’s Next Bestsellers. We hope you are as excited as we are!
How will we select the winners?
- A shortlist of stories will be created on the basis of points (Scriggles) they receive from the audience.
- The final list of 10-12 stories for the book will be selected from this shortlist by the judges.
- The winning stories will be put together into one collection.
- The overall winner will see the title of their story used as the title of the entire collection.
- Winners will be notified within 28 days of the competition closing. Should the number of entrants exceed expectations and longer time be required for judging, the entrants will be made aware of this via social media channels so we would encourage entrants to continue following both BNBS and Scriggler on Twitter and/or Facebook after the competition has ended.
How will the crowdfunding campaign work?
- BNBS will create a project page on www.britainsnextbestseller.co.uk for the collection.
- BNBS will create a short trailer video for the book, a book cover and populate the project page, all of this is free of charge. Browse the manuscripts on BNBS site for examples.
- The Authors of the winning entries together with BNBS and Scriggler, will then need to secure 250 pre-orders for the book between them within 8 weeks of launching the crowdfunding campaign. This should be very achievable.
- 12 weeks later the book will be printed. BNBS will look to secure shelf space with the appropriate booksellers.
How do you register and publish on Scriggler.com?
- Registration on Scriggler is very straightforward and only takes a minute.
- Once registered authors are able to publish immediately.
- Authors maintain all rights to their publications and can remove them from the platform at any time.
- All publications are promoted by Scriggler via other social media outlets.
- In order to take part in this competition, participants must publish their entries in the ‘Story’ category and use ‘BNBS’ as a tag.
- All entries are eligible for the standard monthly writing contest run on Scriggler, with winners receiving additional promotion as a prize. This will not have an impact on BNBS competition as the final shortlist will be chosen by the panel of judges.
What are the publishing agreement terms?
- The royalties’ are 50% net receipts. However the Author’s royalties in this instance will go to The Hope Academy for Girls – for information about the great work they do go to www.britainsnextbestseller.co.uk/index.php/sites/giving_back
- If the crowdfunding campaign is successful, Authors will get 10 free copies of the published collection and be able to buy additional copies at 50% discount once published.
- If the book is published, the author licences BNBS to publish, print, sell and distribute their book. The author retains the copyright.
Hopefully we have explained everything you need to know about the competition. Now a little about BNBS and Scriggler. BNBS launched in March 2014. We offer authors a new, fairer, more profitable and faster way to publish their manuscripts. We empower readers so they can decide the books that get published. The books they want to read! And it would appear that both writers and readers agree this is a good idea… in the first seven months of business 16 authors have been awarded publishing deals already!
How Does BNBS Work?
Any UK author can submit a manuscript to us. As long as it is unpublished and fully edited. We agree a pre-order target (usually around 250 books) and a deadline (8 to 16 weeks). Our authors have access to a vibrant online platform via www.britainsnextbestseller.co.uk and powerful social media tools. They must demonstrate demand for their book by securing their target pre-orders. If they do they are guaranteed a publishing contract, with industry beating royalties. They will then see their book go from manuscript to printed masterpiece in just 12 weeks. The more popular a manuscript is, the more resources we throw at it to make it a Bestseller. If the public want to read it we want to publish it!
Readers get a great deal too… browse exciting manuscripts, search out and support that next bestselling author, their name printed in every edition of the book, along with getting a copy of the book two weeks before public release.
Introducing our new friends Scriggler
Scriggler.com is the first content platform focused on helping authors maximise their outreach. A hub for writers, poets, thinkers, scientists, activists – anyone looking to share their writing on any topic, in any genre, in any level of detail. Contributors keep the rights to their work. All publications are easily sharable, authors get access to analytics on audience engagement. There is a number of tools and algorithms for the readers to discover content relevant to them. Scriggler aims to democratise the information flow and make it easy to connect authors with the right audience and readers with the right content.
We are excited to be offering our followers this opportunity. All that is left to say is good luck, enjoy and we look forward to reading your stories! Remember the competition opens 1st December 2014 and you have until 31st January 2015!
The boring bit – rules of Entry
- Participants need to register and publish their entries on Scriggler.com
- All entries must be previously unpublished.
- Entry is not limited to UK residents. Authors can be based in any country for the purposes of this competition.
- Only entire stories would be considered, no extracts.
- Word count should not exceed 7,500 words.
- While authors keep their rights when publishing on Scriggler, the purpose of the contest is to compile and publish a book of short stories and winning authors would be expected to enter into an agreement with BNBS. Please consider this when entering.
You can follow BNBS : www.facebook.com/BNBSbooks and Twitter: @BNBSbooks
You can follow Scriggler: www.facebook.com/Scriggler and Twitter: @IScriggle